TIPS TO HELP YOU IMPROVE YOUR SLEEP
We are all well aware of how important sleep is in our life. We have heard the saying that we can live without food but we cannot live without sleep. Sleep is the time when our body begins its regenerating process. It allows us to refuel or recharge our energy storage as well it assist in tissue regeneration.
When an individual does not get enough sleep it affects many systems in the body. First it increases inflammation, affects blood sugar leading to insulin resistance or diabetes type 2.
Ideally for maximum health benefits we should try and get 7-8 hours of sleep per night.
There are a few things that can affect this. Hormones such as cortisol, which is produced with an increase in stress. This stress could be physical, chemical, or emotional. Cortisol has an inverse relationship with melatonin, the hormone that helps us sleep. We should have a lot of cortisol in the morning and very little melatonin and as the day progresses there should be less cortisol and more melatonin.
Light, especially blue light will affect this. Even lights in your room or a full moon will inhibit the production of melatonin.
If you are having difficulty sleeping here are some tips.
- Turn off all electronics a few hours before bedtime. This includes the computer, cell phone and ipad.
- Make sure the room you sleep in is dark, eliminating all light
- Turn off router as the electromagnetic frequency can affect the brain and sleep.
- Do not have the router or your cell phone in your bedroom when you sleep, or switch to airplane mode.
- Make sure your bed and pillow are good. Try and avoid beds and pillows that have potentially allergenic chemicals such as polyurethane foam or mattress covers that are fire retardant.
- Try sleeping with a pillow between your legs to make the back more comfortable.
- Sleep on your side or back. Try and avoid the stomach as this can put more pressure on the spine and irritate degenerative disc or sciatic type issues.
- Buy an air filter unit to ensure better air quality of the room.
- Proper ventilation is important so keep a window open during the day and night.
Leave a Reply