Probiotics are live bacteria and yeasts that promote a healthy digestive tract and strengthen the immune system. They can help balance your “good” and “bad” bacteria to keep your body working at its optimum potential. It is extremely important, however, that the probiotics you choose are high quality and contain key essential ingredients to have the greatest benefit. We have listed the top 5 ingredients for supporting the micro biome of the digestive system and creating a balance to help eliminate the rogue bacterial colonies of the gut.
1. Lactobacillis Planatarum: This probiotic has several benefits, including improving gut immunity and regulating inflammation in the gut. This will support the lining of the gut and reduce the risk of “leaky gut.” It has also been shown to help with the digestion of proteins and reducing the risk of allergies
2. Lactobacillis Acidophillus: This bacteria has been proven to help maintain healthy cholesterol levels, reduce the risk of candida, and help with the healthy coagulation of blood.
3. Lactobacillis Brevis: This bacteria has been proven to increase levels of BDNF (Brain Derived Neurotropic Factor), which has been shown to improve neuron connections. It has been determined it is not the amount of neurons we have but how they connect that help prevent neurodegenerative disorders such as dementia. It has also been proven to enhance the cellular immunity by improving natural killer T-cell activity.
4. Bifidobactrium Lactis: Research has shown this bacteria to improve and support digestive immunity. As you know 70-80% of our immune system resides in the gut. 5. Bifidobacterium Longum: This bacteria will improve lactose intolerance and help prevent food allergies and diarrhea. It has also been shown to reduce anxiety and scavenge free radicals. Free radicals are what cause the body to be under more oxidative stress and it accelerates the process of aging.
Many of these essential ingredients can be found in the foods we eat, such as yogurt and fermented foods. Other sources include:
- Pickled Fruits and Vegetables
For more information on gut health and your nutrition, visit our website at www.drmichaelveselak.com. To schedule an appointment for your own personalized nutritional consultation, contact our office at (805) 482-0723 or click the link below.